A blessed Easter! On this day is it customary to renew our baptismal promises. Today we celebrate Christ’s victory over death. The power of his resurrection enables us to live in the joy and freedom of the children of God. I invite you personally to renew your commitment to Christ and the Gospel way of life by responding “I do” to each question.
- Jesus has revealed to us that God is a kind, loving and merciful Father. Do you believe in God the Father, and in his love for you?
- The world sets many idols before us: comforts, possessions, pleasures … Do you reject these false gods?
- Do you believe in Jesus, the Son of God, who died for us and rose again, so that we might rise to newness of life?
- Do you believe that Jesus lives on among us as our companion and friend on the journey through life?
- Do you reject Satan, the spirit of evil?
- Satan tempts us with false and empty promises: that material things can fully satisfy us; that happiness consists in easy and comfortable living; that all that matters in life is to be popular and successful. Do you reject these empty promises?
- Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of love and forgiveness, the Spirit of joy and goodness, the Spirit of gentleness and peace?
- Do you believe that the Holy Spirit lives within you, consoling, guiding and strengthening you?
- Do you believe that each person has dignity as a human being and child of God?
- Do you believe that human life is sacred from the moment of conception till natural death?
- Do you believe that all human beings are equal in dignity and form one family under God?
- Do you believe that as followers of Christ, we are called to be his witnesses in the world?
- Do you believe that Mary, the Mother of Jesus, is also our Mother, and the Mother of the Church?
- Do you believe in the everlasting life Christ won for us through his life, death, and resurrection?
May we all experience the joy of the Resurrection which fills the whole world!
— Fr. Dennis, April 4, 2021